CBProads


Ads By CbproAds

Tuesday, May 6, 2008

Returning home

For the past 20 years I have been living in the United States and I decided to return to Cameroon, a country in Central Africa which is my country of Birth. I left Cameroon in June 1985 at the age of 23 to go and study in the United States. I arrived at Dulles International Airport with practically no money because the little cash that I had was spent on the plane ride for food. The fortunate part for me was that I had relatives that were already living in the US. I had two cousins, a close family friend and a senior brother who had been living in the state of Virginia for the past six years but had recently moved to Clemson, South Carolina. I got to Dulles Airport, made a few calls with the assistance of an attendant from TWA and got my cousin to pick me up. I was taking to the home of a former Cameroonian attache to the US who is now of late and the wife ordered pizza for me, my cousin and a friend of his. From there my cousin took me to his place of resident which he share with two of his friends who had arrived the US about a year ago. We were living in one of the street apartments in Washington DC and I loved the place a little bit. So far coming from Cameroon, a third world country you could not help but be impressed by the new environment. I was impressed by the quality of the radio station signals. This was during the 80s when from where I came from the radio stations were broadcasting using AM and SW signals. The FM stations signals were really impressive and I spent I lot of time listening to music from the radio stations. After about four to five days living with my cousin I was picked up by a close friend of my family. One of my first impression of the society was how it was hard on new immigrants because they had to be at work just about all the time to try and keep up with the expenses of their new society. I spend about a week with my cousin in Alexandria, Virginia and during that period a party was organised at his apartment during which I met quite a few people from Cameroon.Parties are the best places to meet old friends and get news information about what is doing on back home. I talked to my brother in South Carolina and we stated making arrangements for my travelling to meet him. One of my luggages that was delayed during transition from one flight to another was delivered to me in Alexandria and a flight was booked for me to travel to South Carolina. I arrived at an Airport in Columbia, South Carolina using a discount airline that is since folded. I got to meet my elder brother after eights years since he left Cameroon. I could still recognised him and he could likewise. He looked just a little bit bigger, not fat and we started the drive down towards Clemson. He had recently bought a car that we were riding in and was still making payments on the car. Since this is my first blog I will end here for today. Will continue to post from tommorrow.