CBProads


Ads By CbproAds

Thursday, May 8, 2008

Meeting some friends

Let me introduce a couple more of the people that I will be interacting with throughout my stay in the South. There was Bill who was doing a PHD and was a close friend of my brother.The guy was an exercise freak who could hold his liquor pretty well.There was Carlos from south America, Brazil in particular.And lastly there was Karen who had a big crush on my brother.Lovely lady who was on the heavy side but knew how to have a good time.She organised most of the parties where you could get unlimited liquor.I got introduced to these big beer containers that looked like water fountains.What you had to do was pour out liquor as if you were pouring water into a glass.It reminded me of a classmate in Lycee Bilingue Buea whose onetime dream was to be able to pour out drinks out of a tap like water.He could have felt quite at home in this environment.Since it was summer holidays I spent most of my time learning how to drive.My brother provided practical lessons while I studied the driving rules and regulations in order to obtain a driver's permit.Most of the cars are automatic so it is not too difficult to learn how to drive.By the time fall started I had learnt how to drive and obtain my learner's permit.I enrolled at Tri-County Technical College in Pendleton, South Carolina.It was a two year community school and I was to began accumulating credits towards an eventual degree in Accounting.After meeting the director of admissions Jacky Henry, I took some test and was handed a booklet with all the school rules and regulations.The friend from Suriname, Melvin and the Cameroonian, Emmanuel also attended the school.We had at this time also moved from the efficiency to a one bed room apartment.We took along the couch that double up as a sleeping bed.I slept in the living room while my brother used the bed room.When school started he would drop me off at school and picked me up later after he had finished his studies.I am sure I had provided him with my schedule of classes since the cellphone revolution had not kicked in yet.The arrangement worked out pretty well.On some occasions he let me have the car after dropping him off at school and I would then pick him up after my classes. The community college operated on a quarter basis. There was the fall, winter and spring sessions.I did the first session and it went pretty well.My brother paid the school fees and I made him proud by having mostly A,s and a B I believe.The end of fall semester saw Christmas holiday come around and we were invited to spent some time in the Virginia area were Shirley and our family friend lived.The drive to Virginia is about six hours but we ended up doing more than that because we got missing somewhere after North Carolina.There was a particularly area where it got so frustrating because we kept going round and round the same area for about three hours.Men are so terrible with their macho attitude when it comes to asking for directions.Anyway it was a tiring experience and we did eventually make it to Alexandria and stayed with Mr Tabot and his wife and then little daughter called Michelle.

No comments: