CBProads


Ads By CbproAds

Monday, May 26, 2008

Deciding on becoming a CPA

Finishing college, is one thing and getting a job in the field that you studied, is quite another.One of the difficulties that foreign students face is that they have to go through so much just to try and graduate from college.Summers, are spend on a second job, as you struggle to pay down some of the bills that you have accumulated throughout the school year.Summers, are also when as a student vying to eventually get into the job market,you are suppose to intern with different companies.This is when you pick up the job experience that companies ask for when you are interviewing.Unfortunately,during internship,you do not get paid any wages.So, internship is not a luxury that everybody can afford.I got out of college planning to land a job in accounting, after graduating with a GPA of 3.01.Nice GPA,but my resume showed working experiences as a sales person with Radio Shack and Circuit City.I could not even begin to count the number of interviews that I went to.All the companies were impressed with my college degree,they like the fact that I was an accounting major,but in the end you get passed over for somebody with some job experiences.This was the case with a lot of my friends and country men abroad.I got tired of job hunting after a while and concentrated on my job with Circuit City.The pay was not bad,school was over anyway and the money that I made was used to clear up some overdo bills and current expenses.This was the advantage that I had coming out of college.I had job experience already,though not in the field that I would have preferred it to be.I was in the consumer electronics industry.A hot area of course during the early and late 90s.I would work for Circuit city for about 4 years before I began to get tired of the place.I started to look at different options.I looked into Computer Sciences.This would have involved my going back to school, more schooling means more school fees that I was trying to avoid.I decided that the logical step was to start preparing to become a CPA(Certified Public Accountant).The decision was made around 1997 and I started to do some research.Qualifying as a CPA would allow me to at least practise on my own if I could not get employment in a Public Accounting firm.

No comments: