CBProads


Ads By CbproAds

Monday, May 12, 2008

Back to school

Winter down in south Carolina is not really that bad.As a matter of fact throughout my stay there it snowed only once.I started the second quarter of school and it went on pretty well.Some of the subjects that I really liked were English Literature, History and Accounting.There were some very good lecturers, I could pick out the guy that taught us History.Very knowledgeable in world events.I took two of his classes.Our accounting teacher, a lady from Anderson, south Carolina was also very good.She introduced us to computer as a useful tool in the field of accounting.I believe it was during this semester that NASA had a major space accident with Space shuttle Challenger disintegrating 73 seconds after being lauched, killing all seven crewmembers aboard.I remember the day vividly because I was in school when it happened and we all had to run to the library to watch CBS provide a live fed from Kennedy Space Center in Florida.Everybody mourned Christa McAuliffe, the school teacher who was to become the first civilian to make it to space.In terms to sporting activities, our school had very little infrastructure.I can only remember one single day when a volleyball competition was stage in the campus.Anyway, I finished the quarter with just about all my grades in A's.This would be my last quarter in the community college. We ran into some financial difficulties and we could not afford for me to go to school in the spring quarter.Jobs are very difficult to get in small towns, especially for immigrant students.So what most people do is to go to the big cities during summer holidays to earn some money and return when school resumes.I was very disappointed with the fact that I had to stay out a quarter because I was doing so well in school.I did manage to have some jobs around the area, but it mainly involved house cleaning jobs that provided very little income.As a matter of fact I do remember a job that I had with a nursing home that paid the minimum wage.I had it for about two weeks before running into some difficulties.The job involved general maintenance around the nursing home environment.Moving little items around and arranging conference rooms and cleaning some offices.I had an elder guy who was my supervisor.We got along very well.He was a fanatically supporter of he Clemson tigers.That is one of the reasons that I remember him because he spend most of the time talking about the team.I believe he was a season ticket holder and he attended all the games, home and away.Anyway, the job ended after one day the supervisor showed me an area where I was to dig a ditch.That was it for me.I just told him no and we both agreed that was to be my last day of work.I came back latter to collect my paycheck.I spend the period of spring mostly watching television from a small black and white screen and playing soccer in the evenings.It was during the spring that James, a friend of the first male in our family arrived the US to continue his studies.He stayed in the Washington DC area for about a week before making the trip down south.Very funny fellow, he had a lot of stories to tell.We welcomed him and got him admission into my former school.The spring period ended and it was on to summer holidays.James had a cousin of his in Gainesville, Georgia and he started making arrangements for me and him to go there and spend the summer holidays.The idea was for us to get jobs there and make some money before fall came along.

No comments: