CBProads


Ads By CbproAds

Monday, May 19, 2008

Higher education

When I arrived Washington DC in the summer of 1986, I spend some time adjusting to the environment, taking care of myself while attempting to save money for further education.My plans was for me to get a degree in accounting before looking at other educational opportunities.I started researching schools and settled on Howard University.This is a predominantly black institution located on Georgia avenue in downtown Washington DC.So many prominent African-American personalities had attended the institution.At the time that I attended Howard University, it had a population of about 25000 students.There was a large African student population there also.The tuition was also very reasonable, the federal government provided aid to the school as some kind of minority assistance.I met the person in charge of admissions and presented them with my grades from Tri-county technical college and they had me request for an official transcript to be mailed directly from my former institution to Howard University.I was to begin school in the fall of 1988.That was about two years after I had arrived Washington DC.I lived, at the time in Sligo avenue, Silver Spring and took the bus to school.Let me introduce some of my friends at Howard University at this time.I can think of Leke, Andy, John, Burnley,Peter Asanga,Henry Foumbo,Marie,Patrick and kevin, just to name a few.Leke was from Nigeria, he drove a cab to make a living while attending school. John was from Ghana.Andy and Burnley were from Cameroon, we took a lot of classes together and attended quite a few parties together also.Peter and Henry are friends that I had known back home.Patrick was from the Caribbean island and quite a colourful character.Marie was from the Democratic Republic of Congo, then called Zaire.Kevin, was born in the USA.We did not get along when we first met, but we became very good friends as the years went bye.Kevin was in the military as part of a programme, were you receive financial assistance while serving part time duty in the military.We all were accounting majors.Accounting was a very hot field at the time,difficult but still popular.You had to attend all the classes.You had to do all the homework.You miss one single class and you will never catch up the rest of the semester.Burnley, started out as a computer science major but later on switch to accounting.

No comments: