CBProads


Ads By CbproAds

Thursday, May 29, 2008

Ben Franklin U

Benjamin Franklin was an Accounting institution that I attended for a period of time,while I lived at Sligo avenue,Silver Spring, MD.I was in the process of trying to get my status regularised, and I did not want to stay out of school for an extended period of time.The school was attended mostly by professionals looking to pick some courses for a future examination such as a CPA or other accounting form of certification.There was no immigration requirement to attend the school,all you had to do was pay your course fees and you were ready to go.Ema,Wilfred,s girlfriend, told me about the school, and had mentioned how a number of Cameroonians had gone through the institution.At this time, I could not get admission into Howard University.My plans, were to go to Benjamin Franklin, take enough accounting courses and sit for the CPA examination.The school fees was reasonable at the time.I met a Cameroonian student there also, Albert Nguni.The guy used to give me a lift back from classes,quite an outgoing fellow also.There was an international student from the Democratic Republic of Congo, formerly Zaire.We also had in my introductory classes, two fellows who were presently in the military.I also remember a Cameroonian lady who was married at the time with a kid.For the first semester at Ben Franklin, I registered for a number of courses, including a course in intermediate accounting.I had already completed the principles of Accounting courses while at Tri-County Technical College.The Accounting course was taught by a relatively young lady who worked full time for the Internal Revenue Services.I remember her vividly because she had a real sporty red vehicle, and she was quite full of life and vigor.I did real well in her class and I immediately became one of her favourite students.She mentioned her husband quite a bit during lectures, and later on had him substitute for her in a number of occasions.I took two intermediate Accounting classes with the lady, passed both of them with A grades before she terminated her teaching duties with the school.I remember a course also in History that I took.The student body was diversified.We had a lot of open discussions in this class about various topics, including early pregnancy in the African American population.I remember the lady from Jamaica, good looking, very vociferous in the class.She had suggested that part of the solution might be for the young ladies to start early masturbation.She idea sounded so strange and wild at the time.Come to think of it, she was just a little bit ahead of her time.I admired her courage a lot, as she defended her position.Benjamin Franklin University ran into financial difficulties about one year into my studies there.GW, George Washington University,stepped in and had an agreement in which students from Ben Frank would continue their studies at its famous university up till graduation.The tuition was to stay the same for the chosen students.All you had to do was go through a formal interviewing process with an administrator from GW.Some of my colleagues opted to go to GW, who would not want that option?I could not because I got eliminated in the interviewing process.It turned out that I had made an error in the application form for getting admitted into Ben Frank U.At the time, the application into Ben Frank U was mainly a formality.Nobody checked on what you wrote on it.Unfortunately for me, the guys from GW were pretty strict.They had gone through all the applications and even brought them for the interviewing process.I had mentioned that I was born at the time in Washington DC, which is quite a stretch.Washington DC, is far from Besongabang,Mamfe,to everybody that knows a little bit about this two places.That is how I missed out on a once in a life time opportunity.I was to learn my lesson after this.Always stick to the truth,you never know.Highly disappointed, I was to get my consolation when I got admitted into Howard University School of Business in the fall of 1988.

No comments: