CBProads


Ads By CbproAds

Wednesday, September 3, 2008

Public transportation

It is called public transportation because anybody can get into it to arrive at their intended destination.It is a means of transportation for those that can not for the moment afford to buy and drive a car of their own.
Public transportation is provided in the form of the metro trains"subways"that run around the metropolitan area,metro buses and lastly ride-on buses.
In Clemson, South Carolina, there were no public form of transportation.Luckily,while I was there, my brother owned a car.Once he taught me how to drive,I could basically go where ever I wanted to go.This changed when I left for Washington DC metropolitan area.My cousin Eno,owned a car,but he did not stay long enough in DC when I arrived for me to benefit from the car.Also,he had a school and work schedule that was totally different from mind.I arrived the DC area using Greyhound, a major bus service that runs throughout the US.
My first place of resident was at 7777 Maple Avenue,Takoma Park,MD.Originally,I only had to get to and from work.My job was at East-West highway in Bethesda,MD.It took me two buses to get to work.The number 17 ride-on bus passes right in front of our apartment block.The ride-on bus service was ran by the local county of Montgomery,MD.You get for about a dollar, a bus pass that you could use all day long on the ride-on buses throughout the county.
One of this passes would take me to the Sliver Spring Metro station from where I boarded another bus to work.Metro buses are a little bit more expensive.An all day metro bus pass is only good for certain bus routes and it cost about 1dollar and 25cents.So all said, it cost me initially about 2dollars and 50cents to get to and from work.
Not bad at all.Public transportation is available on big cities only,mainly because it is expensive to maintain and there has to be a large population demand for it.So if you a going to attend a school in a remote area,be ready to get a personal ride as soon as possible.It will be virtually impossible for you to get anything done without one.
It is also very difficult to depend on somebody's else's because,people have different work and school schedules.If you attend a boarding school and your parents are taking care of all your expenses,you will be find.You can just walk to classes,to get something to eat,to a local bar or to visit friends that live around school campus.At the end of the semester,it is easy to get a friend drop you off in a nearby greyhound bus station where you can take the bus home.
When I moved to Sligo avenue, the bus schedule changed.At the time, I was working at the Radio Shack in Langley Park,MD.Two ride-on buses, the number 15 and the number 16 passed in front of the apartment complex.You could get a bus schedule as you board the buses, so you knew when to stand out to wait for them.They are on time most of the time.
When I started schooling at Benjamin Franklin,I started taking the metro train from the Silver Spring Station to the metro stop at Gallery Square or Union Station.This is part of the red line metro train service.The train service is much faster and runs throughout the Washington DC metropolitan area.It was divided into different routes, namely the red line, the orange line,the yellow,the blue line and the green line.Metro bus and train services are provide by the Washington DC Metropolitan Area Transit Authority.
The various routes will take you close to anywhere around the metropolitan area.The metros are also handicap accessible.Taking the train,though faster is also a little bit more expensive.You pay based on your destination.The prices are there for you to see.There is a rate for rush hours that run from 5.30-9.30am and 3.30pm-7pm weekdays.The fares go up during rush hours and you also have more frequent train movement during this time.
While I attended Howard University,I had to work sometime at Wheaton and of cause get home to Sligo Avenue in Silver Spring. To get to Wheaton, I boarded the ride-on bus to the Silver Spring Metro Station. From there, I either continued with another ride-on bus with the same pass or if the buses are running very slow I boarded the one marked for Rockville that would pass through Wheaton Plaza.
To go to Howard University,once I arrived at Silver Spring Metro Station,there is a bus 70 that takes you through Georgia Avenue to passing right infront of Howard University. The public transport system is great until that time that you can complete your education and have more deposible income for a car purchase.

No comments: